COMMUNITY CALENDARHelp keep our readers informed. We encourage submissions about Peace, Justice and Environmental Events!
MODESTO PEACE LIFE CENTER ACTIVITIES
Modesto Peace Life Center VIGILS: held THE FIRST THURSDAY of the month at McHenry Ave. and J St. (Five Points): 4:00-5:00 pm (NEW TIME). Call the Center for info: 529-5750.
Listen to Peace/Life Center radio, KCBP 95.5 FM streaming at http://www.KCBPradio.org (not on the air yet).
PEACE LIFE CENTER BOARD MEETING,
720 13th St., Modesto, 6:30 pm, 529-5750.
WATCH THE LATEST PEACE CENTER VIDEOS filmed by John Lucas and Richard Anderson at
MEDIA COMMITTEE of Peace/Life Center, Meetings TBA.
CONNECTIONS EDITORIAL MEETINGS:
New workers welcome. Email email@example.com
PEACE/LIFE CENTER MODESTO, 720 13th St., Modesto-- Call 529-5750, we'll get back to you with current info on activities.PEACE AND JUSTICE NETWORK OF SAN JOAQUIN COUNTY (http://www.pjnsjc.org). Info: James Walsh, firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT OUR RADIO STATION: The Modesto Peace/Life Center just got its construction permit last year in August, 2015 to build a full-power FM radio station. We are ?rst planning web streaming to help get the word out that we are creating this community station. We don’t have the equipment to do this yet, so that’s where you come in! Send your check to the Modesto Peace/Life Center, PO Box 134, Modesto CA 95353-0134. Put "Radio" in the memo.
JUNE 30 SAT: March & Rally: Families Belong Together. Meet at Lucas Statue, J St. and 17th St. (5 Points. March to 10th St. Place. 11:00 am.
3 TUES: LAST DAY to see Seeds of Identity: 31 Foods Mexico Gave the World. Mistlin Gallery, 1015 J St., Modesto, 209-529-3369.
4 WED: NO VIGIL TODAY. Postponed to July 11. Renew your strength! Have a Safe and Happy 4th!
11 WED: Modesto Peace/Life Center VIGIL: Immigration: Keep Families Together McHenry & J St., 4:30-5:30 pm. NOTE NEW DATE!
12 THURS & 15 SUN: The State Theatre presents Special 50th Anniversary showing of Yellow Submarine. 1307 J. St., Showings: 7:00 pm Thursday, 5:00 pm Sunday. Visit http://www.thestate.org/calendar/event/index.php?id=1148. Become a member of the State Theatre and get perks! Visit http://www.thestate.org/membership.
15 SUN: The Modesto Film Society and The State Theatre presents Rocky. 1307 J. St., 2:00 pm. Visit http://www.thestate.org/calendar/event/index.php?id=1074. Become a member of the State Theatre and get perks! Visit http://www.thestate.org/membership.
19 THURS: Special showing of Homeless in Modesto documentary created by the Homeless Documentary Project. Sponsored by the Modesto Peace/Life Center. Proceeds benefit Family Promise of Greater Modesto. Panel discussion with community leaders follows. Admission: $5.00. 7 to 9 pm. State Theatre, 1307 J. St., Modesto. NOTE: this is not the film shown last year at the State about people living on Modesto’s Ninth St.
29 SUN: Yokuts Sierra Club Mixer and Book Exchange. Stewart and Jasper Orchards Co. Store, 1700 McHenry Ave. (McHenry Village), Suite 58, Modesto. RSVP to Elaine, email@example.com or Steve, 209-544-1617 or
1 WED: Modesto Peace/Life Center VIGIL: Immigration: Keep Families Together. McHenry & J St., 4:30-5:30 pm.
6 MON: Modesto Peace/Life Center’s Annual Hiroshima Remembrance and Potluck, Legion Park, Modesto, 6:00 PM. Bring food, drinks to share as we converse and rededicate ourselves to reversing the efforts to rebuild and proliferate nuclear weapons. Bring your own table service. Evening concludes with a candlelight vigil on the banks of the Tuolumne River.
6 WED: March for Nuclear Abolition & Global Survival. No Nukes! No Walls! No Wars! No Warming! 8 am, Livermore Lab, corner of Vasco & Patterson Pass Rds. More information: 925.443.7148 or 510.839.5877. See article, this issue.
19 SUN: The Modesto Film Society and The State Theatre presents Carousel. 1307 J. St., 2:00 pm. Visit http://www.thestate.org/calendar/event/index.php?id=1075. Become a member of the State Theatre and get perks! Visit http://www.thestate.org/membership.
September: Peace Essay Contest begins. TBA.
September 22: Library Foundation Hosts Trio of Local Authors at Gala Fundraiser. Live auction; Limited number of tickets, $140 each. For tickets, call (209) 634-3592 or (209) 523-9083. Info:
October 20: El Concilio’s 50th Annual Gala Dinner in Stockton. To learn more about the event, contact Annette Sanchez, (209) 644-2627 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sound offers Audio Technician training classes for
those 13 and older. Work with musicians; hands-on
learning Live Sound, Recording Bands, Producing,
Mastering, Electronics, and Pro Tools. Call or email
for more information and class times. Modesto Sound,
110 Santa Barbara Ave., Modesto. $200 (limited
scholarships available). 209-573-0533, email@example.com;
Veterans Resources from Recovery Village: https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/resources/veterans/
Student’s Guide to Studying Abroad - https://www.accreditedschoolsonline.org/resources/study-abroad/
The Ultimate Guide to Pet Adoption: https://www.homeoanimal.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-pet-adoption
for virtually any natural disaster with the Natural Disaster
Preparedness Guide: www.expertise.com/home-and-garden/home-preparation-for-natural-disasters
Green Guide for Kids and Adults at Home - Assurance for a Healthy Earth: https://usinsuranceagents.com/green-home-guide
Complete guide to support groups at http://www.friendsaregoodmedicine.com/pdf/FriendsDirectory.pdf
Calculators for a sustainable environment: valuable website which contains car payment and car use calculators and links to many calculators to help people reduce their energy footprints. http://www.carpaymentcalculator.net/calcs/environmental.php
Valley Improvement Project's mission: to improve the quality of life of under-represented and marginalized residents of California?s Central Valley. Oongoing events visit V.I.P. at http://valleyimprovementprojects.org/about. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Comprehensive guide to help homeowners navigate through the complexities of homeowners insurance providers and policies. Useful tips, expert advice, and thoroughly researched data to help you compare different provider options. Visit http://www.reviews.com/homeowners-insurance/
Consumer Affairs Guide to Homeowner’s insurance: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/insurance/home.html
Vegetarian, Gardening & Bee-keeping Resources
Culinary Resources for Vegetarianism
11 Facts About Meatless Monday That Will Inspire You To Reach For The Veggies
How To Transition To A Plant-Based Diet
Nutrition And The Vegan Diet
10 Helpful Tips for Beginning Gardeners
Grow Food At Home: 7 Tips For Growing Food In Small Spaces
Garden Better With Biodiversity & Wild Pollinators
The Buzz on Beekeeping: A Guide to Bringing Up Bees in Your Own Backyard
Area Calendars/Events listings
SERRV SHOP: Gifts from developing
countries. Call Marye for appt., information: 209-523-0449.
Modesto Church of the Brethren, 2301 Woodland, Rm #4, Modesto.
Modesto Church of the Brethren, 2301 Woodland, Rm #4, Modesto. https://www.modcob.org/index.php?s=serrv
State Theater calendar of events
West Side Theater Events
E-Arts News-performing, literary and visual arts in the Central San Joaquin Valley and the Mother Lode Area.
Modesto Parks, Recreation and Neighborhoods Activity Guide
Stanislaus County Free Library page with links to events
with link to Events page
Great Valley Museum Calendar of Events
Events at CSU Stanislaus
Yokuts Sierra Club events calendar
San Joaquin Connections Community Calendar
Search for nearby Concerts using Musi-Cal,
the music search engine
Freight and Salvage concerts (Berkeley)
Neighborhood Energy--Music in the Diablo Valley
California Bluegrass Association
Entertainment Calendar can be reached from this
The Modesto Bee listing of Community Events is here
Modestoview Community Calendar
For holidays and celebrations around the world, here's a
link to the Earth Calendar.
For every kind of calendar reference information you could want, try the Calendar Zone
Bay Area Events Calendar At Common Ground
California Nature Events & Festivals from the Audubon Society.
- MODESTO CERTIFIED FARMERS MARKET: Downtown, 16th/between H & I Streets, Thursdays and Saturdays, 7am-1 pm, . Flowers, vegetables, bread, chef?s demonstrations. Community gathering among the valley's produce.
New added location: Thursday afternoons 3-7 pm at King-Kennedy Center/Mellis Park, 601 N. Martin Luther King Drive
- Oakdale: North 3rd Ave and East F St, Oakdale. Thursday evenings, 6 pm-8 pm, Open May 31--September
- Riverbank: Third Street & Santa Fe Street, Riverbank, Wednesday evenings, 5:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m., Open May 30-September
- Ceres: Whitmore Park, North and Third Streets, Noon-7 pm Wednesdays April-fall
- Sonora: Theall St. in downtown Sonora , Saturday mornings. 8 a.m. to noon; Info 532-7725.
CHILDREN'S STORY HOURS:
- Stanislaus County Library. CHILDRENS STORY HOURS Stanislaus County Library: Modesto, WiggleWorms! Program for children age 2 and younger and their caregivers; combines age appropriate stories and movement activities that promote essential pre-reading skills. Preschool StoryTime, Cuentos en espanol. Times vary. Info: http://www.stanislauslibrary.org/tk_kids_storytime.shtm
- Storytime at Modesto Certified Farmers' Market, Thursdays, 10 am, next to the library, 16th and I St., Modesto.
- Story Time at Barnes and Noble: Tuesdays, 11am. Thursdays, 4:30pm. McHenry Avenue north of Standiford Ave., Modesto. 521-1118.
- Story Hour at the Storyteller Bookstore: Saturdays, 10 - 11 am, 528 E. Main, Turlock, 664-9197
- GREAT VALLEY MUSEUM of Natural History, College & Stoddard Ave., Modesto. Open Wed. to Fri. , 12 - 4:30 pm., Sat. 10-5. Schedule available: 575-6196. Field trips, live animal programs, native plant garden.
- McHenry Museum, 1402 I St. Modesto. Information: 577-5366.
- Haggin Museum, 1201 N. Pershing Ave., Stockton. 209-940-6315 or email
- CENTRAL CALIFORNIA ART LEAGUE Mistlin Gallery, exhibits by local artists. 1015 J Street in Tenth Street Place. Open Mon-Sat 10-5. Free admission, Rental of artworks available.
- THE CHARTREUSE MUSE STUDIO GALLERY, 908 Tenth Street, downtown Modesto. open Thu-Fri 11am-4 pm, Sat 10 am-2pm. Info: 209-522-0935. Showing "Gilded Offerings" by Art Clique thru Dec. 21. December's featured artists: Judith Cochran & Cloe Fonda
- Picasso's Gourmet Deli and Gallery, 963 10th St., Modesto. 209-491-4840.
- MJC ART GALLERY, Open noon to 8 pm Mon-Thurs, and 1 to 5 pm Friday. Free.. Call 575-6819 for gallery hours & current shows. MJC East Campus, College Ave., Modesto.
- CARNEGIE ARTS CENTER, Classes for adults and children are scheduled in watercolor, basic drawing, poetry, and murals. Pre-registration required. 209-668-5698. Exhibits at City Hall Gallery, 156 S. Broadway, Turlock, 8 am- 5 pm.
- CSU Stanislaus Art Gallery, CSU campus.. The Art Gallery is located in the lobby of the Drama building. All events are free and open to the public. Gallery hours are Monday through Thursday, noon to 4 pm. information, (209)667-3186
- ART EXHIBITS AT HAGGIN MUSEUM Open 1:30 to 5 pm daily except Mondays. 20l N. Pershing, Stockton in Victory Park. Info: (209) 940-6300. Free days: 1st Tuesday and 1st Saturday each month.
- Harbinger Gallery, 448 Main St., Murphys, CA (209/795-5957).
- STATE THEATER, ongoing program of film, concerts, and theater. For the current calendar, click here.
- TOWNSEND OPERA PLAYERS, season summary.
- PROSPECT THEATER PROJECT. For current season click here
- WEST SIDE THEATRE, Newman, ongoing concert series
- Blues and Brews, Heros Pub, every Wednesday evening 7:00
- Thursday Night Ramble, 3 bands/$5 Cover, Thursday evenings 7:00
- Live music at The Barkin' Dog most Thurs, Fri, & Sat evenings
- Great Valley Acoustic Concert Series, third Friday evenings, 918
Sierra Drive, Modesto (Central Grace Community Church)
A.R.T.S. EDUCATIONAL RESOURCE CENTER: free arts materials for teachers, scout leaders, child care, artists. All recycled things. Volunteers and Materials needed! Open Mon-Fri, 8 am - 4:30 pm. 1100 Kansas Ave. Info: 567-4516. Also in Turlock, 250 N. Broadway, Info 668-5698.
Habitat for Humanity?s RE-STORE: used and new quality materials, 3124 McHenry Ave.,?Modesto. Funds benefit homes built by Habitat in Stanislaus County. Visit http://www.stanislaushabitat.org/home/restore
CITY OF MODESTO RECREATION & NEIGHBORHOODS. (formerly called Parks and Recreation), Dept. has a wealth of activities for adults and children, including activities for disabled youth. Catalogues and info: 577-5344, 1010 10th St., Modesto. Click here for Activity Guide
YMCA after school and off track Child Care. Also many activities for adults and children, youth sports, etc. Some are free. Active Aging Program, featuring a voluntary physical fitness evaluation and develop an individual activity program. Call Fitness Coordinator, 578-9622. Monthly health screenings for seniors, by appointment only, are also offered. For cost & info 578-YMCA.
CHILD HEALTH MOBILE SERVICES Maddux Youth Center, 3rd & Sierra Dr., Modesto. Fourth Fridays, noon to 4:30 pm. Call for appointment, 525-6282.
TAI CHI. Mondays thru Saturdays. Led by Naser and Mary. Info: 572-4518. 3600 Sisk Rd., Suite 4B
ALANON/ALATEEN. families/teenage children of alcoholics, 524-3907.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS in Stanislaus County.
CAIR, Changing Attitudes in Recovery, (also other support group listings) 577-1667.
GLSEN - San Joaquin Chapter. Contact Ryan Moore, email@example.com for more information about any GLSEN San Joaquin events.
EL CONCILIO Community Center, 1314 H St., Modesto. For info, Raul Garcia, 523-2860 firstname.lastname@example.org
CENTRAL VALLEY DEMOCRATIC CLUB. Monthly meetings: Modesto, Patterson, and Oakdale. For more information, visit or call Neil Hudson at 847-0540
• Modesto Vineyard Christian Fellowship,
10:00 am at the MODSPOT, 1220 J St.
Call or text 209-232-1932, email email@example.com; All Welcome.
weekly Insight Meditation and dharma talk,
8:45 am - 10:15 am, 2172 Kiernan Ave., Modesto (rear bldg. at the
end of the UUFSC east parking lot). Offered freely, donations
welcome. Info: Contact Lori, 209-343-2748 or see https://imcv.org/ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Food Addicts Anonymous In Recovery. Sundays 6:30 pm, 2467 Veneman Ave. Modesto. Info: Emily M., 209 480-8247.
• Unity Tai Ji Qi Gong (A Journey Within) - First United Methodist Church Multipurpose Rm - 6 pm - Mondays - freewill offering. Michele, 209 602-3162.
Monday Morning Funstrummers Beginner Ukulele Lessons. Modesto Senior Center. 10:45am to Noon. Free Scenic and Bodem.• Walk With Me, a women's primary infertility support group and Bible study. 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm the first and third Mondays of each month (September only meeting 9/15/14 due to Labor Day). Big Valley Grace Community Church. Interested? Email WalkWithMeGroup@gmail.com or call 209.577.1604.
OCCUPY MODESTO: Action info: Nancy, 545-1375.
• StanCounty Radical Mental Health: a peer facilitated support group open to people living with mental health issues. Mondays, 7pm at the Modesto Peace/Life Center 720 13th St. We strive to create a safe, non-judgmental space. More information: email email@example.com or contact Sue at 209-247-4659.
Silver Gold Support Group 50+ years of age. Ongoing support group for mental health and wellness to meet the needs of the mature Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) community. Every Monday 3:00 - 4:00 pm, Community-Hope-Recovery, 305 Downey Ave. Modesto. Info: Monica O, Tiamonica64@gmail.com or Susan J, Susanthepoet@gmail.com
- LA LECHE Turlock, 7:00 pm, 3rd Monday. Info: 537-1243 or 634-9175. .
- EPILEPSY SUPPORT GROUP, Memorial Hospital Ivy Conference Room, 7 pm, every 4th Monday. Info: Mary Harris, 521-9737.
- PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT GROUP: fourth Monday, 7 - 9 pm, at Memorial Medical Plaza, Rm 61, 1800 Coffee Rd., Modesto. Info: Chuck Rowland, 522-3286, or Thom Olson, 869-2141.
- COMPULSIVE EATERS ANONYMOUS H.O.W. CONCEPT: Mondays, Memorial Medical Center, 1800 Coffee Rd, Education Building. Info: Pat, 342-0150, or Karen, 523-2055.
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, Stanislaus Peer Recovery Group, open to mental health clients seeking Recovery, every Monday at 5:15 pm at Telecare East Modesto Regional Services, 1801 H Street, Modesto.
- BUDDHIST MEDITATION, Lotus Blossom Sangha, every Tuesday, 7 -9 pm. Info: 524-9333.
- Tuesday Evening Funstrummers Ukulele Jam. Songbooks provided. 6pm to 8pm, 1600 Carver Rd., Donation. 209-505-3216, www.Funstrummers.com
- NAACP Meeting. Christ Unity Baptist Church, 601 'L' St., Modesto, 3rd Tuesday, 7 pm. 209-645-1909; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ADULT CHILDREN OF ALCOHOLICS (Alanon) Every Tuesday, 7 pm. at 1320 L St., (Christ Unity Baptist Church). Info: Jeff, 527-2469, or Rose, 537-6521.
- WHEEL CHAIR BASKETBALL: Tuesday evenings, 6 - 9 pm, at La Loma Jr. High School Multi-Purpose Room. Free. Drop-in. Sponsored by Modesto City and Guardian Rehab Hospital. Info: 577-5340.
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, group for families, 3rd Tuesday of the month at 6:30 pm at the Oakdale Senior Center. For information call 209-529-6880
OWL EMPIRE, First Tuesday of each month, Denny's, Bel Piatto, 1000 Kansas Ave. Board meets second Tuesday same time and place, General Membership mtg., Third Tuesday, all at 7 pm.
IMCV weekly Insight Meditation and dharma talk, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm, 2172 Kiernan Ave., Modesto (rear bldg. at the end of the UUFSC east parking lot). Offered freely, donations welcome. Info: Contact Lori, 209-343-2748 or see https://imcv.org/ Email: email@example.com
Pagan Family Social, third Tuesdays, Golden Corral, 3737 McHenry Ave, Modesto, 6 pm. Info: 569-0816. All newcomers, pagan-curious and pagan-friendly welcome.
LGBTQA Collaborative Meetings 4th Thursdays. Lunch meeting: Peer Recovery Art Center, 1222 J St, Modesto, Noon to 1:30 pm. Dinner meetings (alternating locations): Location A: Josie’s Place - 1208 9th St, Modesto,. Location B: Community - Hope - Recovery Center , 303 Downey Ave., Modesto . 5:30 pm to 7 pm. Dinner served. July.28 (A); Aug. 25, 2016 (B); Sept. 22 (A) Oct. 27 (B) Nov. 17 (A);Dec. (B). Dedicated to promoting well-being in the LGBTQA community. John Aguirre, firstname.lastname@example.org,559-280-3864
Weekly mindfulness meditation and dharma talk, 6:30-8:30 pm, 2172 Kiernan Ave., Modesto (rear bldg. at the end of the UUFSC parking lot). Info: Contact Lori for more information at 209-343-2748 or see http://imcv.org/
- Ukulele Jam led by Lorrie Freitas. 6 p.m. Songbooks provided. Telle Classrooms Trinity Presbyterian Church, 1600 Carver, Modesto. Donation. Info: 209-505-3216. www.Funstrummers.com
• Ongoing meditation class based on Qi Gong Principals. Practice a 3 Step Guided Meditation Process I have been doing for over a decade. Fun and Easy. JOIN ME! Donations accepted but optional. Call 209.495.6608 or email Orlando Arreygue, CMT RYT, email@example.com
• Merced LGBT Community Center offers a variety of monthly meetings and written materials. Volunteers, on site Wed-Fri, to offer support. Ph: 209-626-5551. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – 1744 G St. Suite H, Merced, CA. www.mercedlgbtcenter.org
• Merced Full Spectrum meets the second Wednesday of every month, 6 p.m. 1744 G St., Suite H, Merced http://www.lgbtmerced.org/ Merced Full Spectrum is a division of Gay Central Valley, a 501(c)(3) nonpro?t organization. http://www.gaycentralvalley.org/
- Modesto Folk Dancers All levels welcome. Raube Hall, Ceres (call for address), 480-0387.
- GLBT Questioning Teen Support Group (14-19 years old). 2nd & 4th Wednesdays, College Ave. Congregational Church, 1341 College Ave., Modesto. 7 ? 9 pm. Safe, friendly, confidential. This is a secular, non-religious group. Info: call 524-0983.
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, 2nd & 4th Wednesdays each month, 6 pm, Family Resource Center, 800 Scenic, Modesto. En Español 1st Wednesday. NAMI Stanislaus also offers Family to Family education classes in mental health arranged throughout the year--next classes begin Sept. 25.. For class info call Kathleen Wood, 525-6150.
Information on mental illness is offered in Spanish and English at the NAMI office, 209-529-6880. Or contact NAMI Stanislaus, P.O. Box 4120, Modesto, CA 95352, or by email.
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance of Stanislaus County, meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month at Doctor's Hospital Conference Center at 6:30 pm For information call 863-8468.
- CO-DEPENDENTS ANONYMOUS every Wed. 7 pm, Health Conf. Center, McHenry Village, Modesto. Info: Connie 575-0050, Laurie, 918-1883.
- RAINBOW GENERATION, for gays, lesbians, and friends, MJC Founders Hall, Rm. 176, 4 pm. Info: 575-6106.
- COALITION OF PARENT SUPPORT (COPS). Non-custodial parents support group. 2nd Wednesday each month. 7 pm. Info: 632-5291.
- MINDFUL MEDITATION: Modesto Almond Blossom Sangha, 7-9 pm. Info: Anne, 521-6977.
- GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education network), 7 pm. 3rd Wednesday each month. Beyer High School, Rm C 9, Sylvan Ave., Modesto. Info: 576-2935.
- THERAPEUTIC INTERVENTIONS. Gay men's HIV support group. Wednesdays, 1pm and Thursdays, 11am. Free. 529-5279.
- Democratic Party: 25th Assembly Dist. Committee, 4th Wednesdays, Info: 576-7442 or 522-0839
- Transgender Support Group: Meetings on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of every month, 7:30pm to 9:00 pm . Email Info@stanpride.org or email@example.com
• Green Team educational meetings the 3rd Thursday of each month, 10 to 11am, Kirk Lindsey Center, 1020 10th St. Plaza, Suite 102, Modesto. www.StanislausGreenTeam.com
- Refuge Recovery: A Buddhist Approach to Recovery from Addiction. Jana Lynn Community Rm., 500 N. 9th St., Modesto. Thursdays 6:30-8 pm. FREE (donations accepted). Info: email RefugeRecoveryModesto@gmail.com
PEACE/LIFE CENTER Board meeting, 1st Thursday of each month, 6:30 p.m. at the Center, 720 13th St., Modesto. Info: 529-5750; firstname.lastname@example.org
- LGBTQA Collaborative Meetings 4th Thursdays. Lunch meeting: Peer Recovery Art Center, 1222 J St, Modesto, Noon to 1:30 pm. Dinner meetings: Community - Hope - Recovery Center , 303 Downey Ave., Modesto . 5:30 pm to 7 pm. Dinner Sept. 22 (A) Oct. 27 (B) Nov. 17 (A);Dec. (B). Dedicated to promoting well-being in the LGBTQA community. John Aguirre, email@example.com, 559-280-3864.
• Third Thursday Gallery Walk, Downtown Modesto, downtown art galleries open--take a walk and check out the local art scene. 5-8 pm every third Thursday of the month. Info: 579-9913, http://www.modestoartwalk.com
• IMCV Grupo de Meditacion en Espanol, cada semana 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm, 2172 Kiernan Ave., Modesto (edi?cio trasero al ?nal del estacionamiento este de UUFSC). Ofrecido libremente, las donaciones son bienvenidas. Info: Contacto Vanessa, 209-408-6172.
- LIBERAL VOICES, fourth Thursday, 7 pm., Unitarian-Universalist church, Kiernan Ave, Modesto.
- STANISLAUS COUNTY HOUSING COLLABORATIVE, 3rd Thursdays, 2 pm, at Housing Authority, Robertson Rd., Modesto Addresses issues of homelessness, low income housing policies, shelters and transitional housing services.
- Democratic Party: MJC Democrats, every Thursday 2 pm, Founders Hall 121, MJC East Campus, Info: 575-6672
- LA LECHE/Modesto, 10 am, Support for nursing mothers. 538-3862 or 545-8444. 2nd Thursdays, 10:30 am.
- SCAP: Support for Gay & Bisexual men, 2nd & 4th Thursdays, 7 pm, 605-A 15th St., 527-2437.
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE COORDINATING COUNCIL, County Administrative Bldg, lower level training room, Tenth Street Place, 1010 Tenth Street, Modesto, 4 pm. 525-6348.
- THERAPEUTIC INTERVENTIONS. Gay men's HIV support group. Wednesdays, 1pm and Thursdays, 11am. Free. 529-5279.
- VALLEY HEARTLAND ZEN GROUP: every Thurs 6:30 to 8:30 pm, Modesto Church of the Brethren, 2310 Woodland Ave. Meditation. Newcomers welcome. Info: 535-6750 or http://emptynestzendo.org
- Pagan Community Meeting, 1st Thursdays, Cafe Amore, 3025 McHenry Ave, Suite S., Modesto, 8 pm. Info: 569-0816. All newcomers, pagan-curious and pagan-friendly welcome.
• Game Night and Potluck, third Friday of each month. For 21+ only. Central Valley Pride Center, 400 12th St., Suite 2, Modesto. 7 pm to 10 pm. Info: John Aguirre, (559) 280-3864; firstname.lastname@example.org
- VILLAGE DANCERS: Dances from Balkans, Europe, USA and more. Carnegie Arts Center, 250 N. Broadway, Turlock. 7:30-9:30 pm, $5 (students free). Info: call Judy, 209-480-0387.
- Friday Morning Funstrummers Band Rehearsal. Donation 9:15am to Noon. College Avenue United Church of Christ, 1341 College Ave., Modesto. 209-505-3216, www.Funstrummers.com
- Latino Emergency Council (LEC) 3rd Fridays, 8:15 am, El Concilio, 1314 H St. Modesto. Info: Dale Butler, 522-8537.
- ALTERNATIVES TO WAR: Meets with the MJC Activist Club every Friday, 12:00 - 1:00, at MJC, Founders Hall 123. All invited.
- FANTASTIC FAMILY Fridays, 3-6pm, King-Kennedy Memorial Center/Mellis Park. Free for children 15 and under. Info: 577-5355
- OVEREATERS ANONYMOUS: Info on times and places, Karen: 523-2055.
- NICOTINE ANONYMOUS: Mondays thru Fridays. Info: 577-2628.
- AUDUBON CLUB, For info on outings and meetings: 521-0108.
- BROWN BAG GROCERY PROGRAM, 1st & 3rd Fridays, 8-11:30am. Free. 577-5355.
SIERRA CLUB: Yokuts group. Regular meetings, third Friday, College Ave. Congregational Church, 7 pm. Info: 300-4253. Visit http://www.sierraclub.org/mother-lode/yokuts for info on hikes and events.
- DIVERSITY PLUS SUPPORT GROUP for gay-lesbian and other youth questioning their sexuality, 3:30 - 5 pm every Friday, at McHenry Village. sponsored by Center for Human Services, Info: 526-1440.
- Stanislaus Chapter, California Network of Mental Health Clients, 10 am - noon, Sunshine Place, 8th/I Streets, Modesto, Fridays.
- MUJERES LATINAS, last Friday, lunch meetings, Info: Cristina Villego, 549-1831.
- HISPANIC LEADERSHIP COUNCIL, 3rd Fridays at noon, 1314 H St., Modesto 95354. Questions? Yamilet Valladolid, email@example.com
Indivisible Stanislaus 2.0 will hold a demonstration every fourth Saturday until the November election at McHenry and Briggsmore Aves., Modesto from Noon to 1:00 pm. All resistance groups invited. Please bring signs regarding the upcoming District 10 election. Info: June Mills, 209-765-5029, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Divine Feminine Gathering. Join us for a time of ritual, song and conversation as women come together to celebrate one another and the Divine among us and within us. 3rd Saturday of the month, 3:30-5:00 p.m. Stockton, CA. Contact Rev. Erin King, 209-815-0763, email@example.com
- Refuge Recovery: A Buddhist Approach to Recovery from Addiction. @Friends Coming of Age., 1203 Tully Rd., Ste. B., Modesto. Saturdays 8-9 am. FREE (donations accepted). Info: RefugeRecoveryModesto@gmail.com
- So Easy ~ So Good: Vegetarian/Vegan/Wannabe Group. Potlucks, guest speakers, field trips, activist activities, movie nights, etc. Third Saturday of every month. Info: Kathy Haynes (209) 250-9961 or email kathyhaynesSESG@gmail.com
- "WALK IN THE PARK": Every Saturday, 9:15 am. Tuolumne River Regional Park. Info: Peter Marker, 548-9112.
- Murphys Art Walk, downtown Murphys, 2nd Saturdays, 5:00-8:00 p.m. Info call 209-728-8640.
- Citizens' Climate Lobby, Modesto Chapter, meets every second Saturday, 10:30 a.m., 937 Oxford Way, Modesto. Questions: Call Kathy, 523-5907.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT CALENDAR ITEMS TO CONNECTIONS.
Tenth of each month (No issue in August). Submit peace, justice and environmentally friendly event notices by email to Jim Costello. Free listings subject to space, availability and editing.